Tuesday 15 September 2015

Starting Out

My First Week

When I first walked into the college on Monday morning, I wasn't completely sure what to expect or who I'd expect to see and so this make me rather nervous. I was then collected from reception and taken to one of the two offices, which was full of people - Which I soon realised were the other higher level apprentices I'd been told about in the interview, but I also saw there were other apprentices just starting out like myself. And after realising I wasn't the only apprentice starting out that day, the nervousness began to fade.

We were then taken into the presentation room, where we were introduced to the course and the other apprentices. Being given the chance to learn everyone's name, while I still don't know everyone's was a sigh of relief as it didn't mean I'd have to find out for myself. Afterwards, we were taken on a 'tour' of the college, which saw us go to the HR area, canteen and also a walk to the Sports and Construction area. I knew of some of these places, but not them all so it was nice to find out about them and where they are. Once we got back, we were then introduced to our work areas and then given some applications to complete and told a bit more about our working day such as hours, lunch etc. Finally, we were also introduced to Adobe Captive. While it wasn't a program I'd worked with before, I didn't find it too challenging as it was like most other Adobe packages with a hint of PowerPoint. Once completing our projects we looked at each others final designs and given feedback from others'. The feedback I received wasn't as bad as I'd expected and from it I learned what things to include or improve on next time and was also given the chance to see what some other people had come up with; given the presentation was about ourselves it was also a chance to learn more about everyone else.


Looking Forward

Looking into the future, I cannot wait to get more involved and taking on more challenges and feeling more involved and apart of the team. So far it's been a pleasure being here and everyone who was already here has been so welcoming and polite which was nice. I can't wait to get more involved. I'm also looking forward to learning new things and developing/ building on what I already know. I also think it'll only really sink in when everything is complete, like my contract and badges etc - I feel this is when I'll really realise the opportunity ahead.