Friday 15 January 2016

Storyboarding Methods - 2

In this blog post I’m going to be discussing how I used a storyboard before creating an eLearning package. To begin with I’m going to discuss the different requirements I had to gather and then how I adapted my eLearning packages to suit the requirements.

Gathering requirements:
Before I began storyboarding, there were several requirements I had to make note of, all listed below, followed by an explanation of them, what my requirement was and how I adapted the package towards them. I will also be including screenshots of my storyboards from an eLearning package I created regarding the Endocrine System to help represent what I’ll be discussing.
Intended Audience
In this section I'm going to discuss who the eLearning package was targeted towards and the adaptations I had to make. Having this information is important as you can focus what you're creating more towards your audience, rather than a broad range of people.

As you can see from the screenshot above, my intended audience was learners at the Wigfield Farm.

Purpose of product
Having a purpose of the product allows you to know what you want from what it is you're creating, giving you something to aim towards, you know when you've completed what you need to get from it.

So using the project planner to the left, you can see the main purpose of the eLearning package was for the students to know more about the Endocrine System.















Narrative structures and key features
One of the key requirements from the eLearning package was to make it as interactive as possible, and also offer a way for the students to test their knowledge. To meet the first criteria I broke the information down into individual sections with images or animations for each page. I then used a menu like page to bring them all together; this also allows the user to determine which area they wish to visit, rather than forcing them through each page. I also added drag and drop quizzes where the user had to match the name of each body part in the Endocrine System with that of the body part on an image of a dog.
Intentions of use and any constraints
The eLearning package was intended to be displayed on a course page on Moodle, with reporting enabled which marks the scores of each quiz and reports them back to the teacher, this wasn't any issue as apart of the drag and drop feature in Captivate you can enable reporting.
Planned the storyboard through discussions

On this project I worked with Nathan in which we discussed how we wanted the eLearning package to look, navigate and what kind of interactions we want to include. During our discussion we planned the layout and a design we wanted to use, then we chose how the eLearning package should flow/ navigate; such as how we wanted users to get to and from the different information sections. After this we then opted to begin deciding which interactions we wanted to use and how we could maybe incorporate them into a quiz.

Below is another image of the discussion which took place between myself Nathan.
During this discussion, these are the different ideas we came up with for making our eLearning package. This included the different interactions we wanted to include, content, styling and the layout of the eLearning package.

Developed the storyboard using technologies
To create the storyboards we used Microsoft PowerPoint, to add the notes you see to the right with the drawings been made using the pen presentation tools. This way we could create our own shapes and add text using freehand, whereas inside PowerPoint you can only add set shapes which aren't the best for the design we wanted.

As you can see in the comparison below, to the left is a storyboard I created using the different shapes in PowerPoint, while the one on the left is one I drew using the pen tool, also in PowerPoint.


How the storyboard is used
Once we completed our storyboards and project planner, we began creating our eLearning package while referencing back to our storyboard, for things such as which page was next and what was on there. To also help keep the design consistent, we duplicated our slides so that the header and footer remained in the same place.


Storyboards for my Employee Rights & Responsibilities eLearning package,
not relevant to the text above.

As you can see in the image above, these are the storyboards I made before creating my eLearning package on Employee Rights & Responsibilities. Creating this beforehand allowed me to have a clear idea of what I wanted to achieve during the process of creating the package; for example, I knew what colours I wanted to include, where I wanted to position certain things etc. Having all this planned prior to starting the eLearning package meant I was able to keep the design consistent, had a clear plan to tackle any obstacles and overall saved plenty of time, by not having to make decision on the go. As I worked in a group to create multiple eLearning packages for one course, it also meant everyone else's content matched, in terms of style etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment